Search

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The dark side of the web

I have had the misfortune of being the target of a phising scam. I think everyone gets the occaisional fake email from a bank, and I find these completely obvious... Your bank will never email you to confirm your details!
But I did receive an email from Ebay a few years back that stated that they would no longer be contacting me via this email address that they would contact me via the new address specified in my account. I knew straight away it was a scam, someone had managed to hack my Ebay account. So i jumped straight onto Ebay to change my password. Once I had reset my password, I realised that they send a temporary password to your nominated email address... FAIL! Now the hacker had my password. So I picked up the phone and called the Help and Support centre and they retreived my account, and helped me change everything. The sad thing is, I knew what had happened, I thought I had done the right thing by changing the password to fix it, but that was exactly what they needed.

Twitter and Mashups still slightly confuse me, but that is purely because I don't understand how they work, I can't just accept that they do work and move on :)

1 comment:

  1. Give me a ring sometime and I will happily talk with you about both of these.

    Ellen (PLS)

    ReplyDelete